Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Genre #AtoZChallenge

This is a guest post on The Masquerade Crew


Aside from a book’s title and cover, its genre is the most important factor in how it is marketed to and discovered by readers. 

Of course I never considered this when I wrote my novel. When I started A Soul to Steal, I thought I was writing a horror novel. That’s about as much thought as I put into it. I never considered that horror meant different things to different people. I was quite comfortable being in the same category as Stephen King, my literary hero, and that’s all there was to it. 

This was a mistake, one I didn’t realize until I had actually published the book. 

Looking back, I had unnecessarily pigeon-holed my book, sticking it in a category that it belonged in, but also limiting its reach and marketability at the same time. Here’s why: 


To read more of this post, please go to the Masquerade Crew here: http://masqueradecrew.blogspot.com/2012/04/g-is-for-genre-atozchallenge.html

No comments:

Post a Comment